pps@marosavat.com | +44 2037 693 728

MarosaVAT EU VAT Services

When do I need a Belgian VAT number?

home / Belgian VAT basics / When do I need a Belgian VAT number?

manual Belgium

When do I need a Belgian VAT number?

As a general rule, a foreign business must register for VAT in Belgium as soon as a taxable supply is made. The following are some usual examples of taxable transactions:

  • Domestic supply of goods not reverse charged: A supply of goods located in Belgium to a Belgian customer where the supply is not subject to reverse charge requires a VAT registration of the supplier. See section Reverse charge rules in Belgium for more information.   
  • Supply of services not reverse charged: Foreign non-established businesses supplying services on which Belgian VAT is due must register for VAT. These services are rather exceptional, as the general B2B rule would apply.
  • Import: Importing goods into Belgium requires a VAT number before importation.
  • Export: Exporting goods to a non-EU country requires a VAT number before the export is made.
  • Intra-Community acquisition: Acquiring goods from another Member State where all conditions for intra-Community movements are met requires the customer to register for VAT. 
  • Intra-Community supply: Supplying goods another Member State is also a taxable transaction that obliges the supplier to register for VAT.  
  • Distance sales above the threshold also require a VAT number. See section Belgian distance sales rules for more information.  

A voluntary registration is not possible in Belgium. This is, companies cannot register if they have not made a taxable transaction.

The registration threshold in Belgium only applies to local established companies.